Border Gavaskar Trophy 2023: details, history, matches, teams, final match, score card, winner list, points table, schedule, and Live Score Today
Border Gavaskar Trophy
The Border Gavaskar Trophy is a prestigious cricket series played between Australia and India. It is named in honor of two legendary cricketers, Allan Border of Australia and Sunil Gavaskar of India, who made significant contributions to their respective national teams. The trophy was introduced in 1996-97 and is contested in Test cricket format. The series has witnessed intense battles and remarkable performances, showcasing the skill and determination of both teams. The Border-Gavaskar Trophy has become one of the most anticipated and closely followed cricketing rivalries, representing the fierce competition between two cricketing powerhouses, Australia and India.
|Vijay Hazare Trophy 2023
|Ranji Trophy 2023
|Santosh Trophy 2023
|Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy 2023
|Quaid e-Azam Trophy 2023
Important facts about Border-Gavaskar Trophy
Here are some important facts about the Border Gavaskar Trophy:
- Inception: The Border Gavaskar Trophy was introduced in the 1996-97 cricket season to commemorate the cricketing rivalry between Australia and India.
- Trophy Namesake: The trophy is named after two cricketing legends – Allan Border from Australia and Sunil Gavaskar from India. Border was a highly successful Australian captain, while Gavaskar is considered one of the greatest Indian batsmen.
- Test Series: The Border-Gavaskar Trophy is contested in the Test cricket format, consisting of matches played over five days.
- Home and Away Series: The series alternates between Australia and India, with each country hosting matches in different seasons.
- Competitive Rivalry: The Border-Gavaskar Trophy is known for its fierce and competitive rivalry between Australia and India. Both teams have displayed intense passion and determination to win the trophy.
- Trophy Design: The Border-Gavaskar Trophy is a silver trophy with engravings representing the names of Allan Border and Sunil Gavaskar. It symbolizes the enduring legacy and contribution of these cricketing greats.
- Iconic Moments: The Border-Gavaskar Trophy has witnessed several iconic moments in cricketing history, including historic victories, remarkable individual performances, and gripping battles between the two teams.
- Series Victories: Both Australia and India have had their share of success in the Border-Gavaskar Trophy. Australia has won the trophy multiple times, while India has achieved significant victories in recent years.
- Importance in Cricketing Rivalry: The Border-Gavaskar Trophy holds immense significance in the cricketing rivalry between Australia and India. It represents the competition and camaraderie shared between two cricketing powerhouses.
- The attention of Cricket Fans: The Border-Gavaskar Trophy captures the attention of cricket fans worldwide, generating immense excitement and interest due to the high-quality cricket and intense battles witnessed during the series.
- Highest record: In the competition for the trophy since 1996, Indian Sachin Tendulkar has been made the most runs in border gavaskar trophy in the Border Gavaskar Trophy with 3262 runs in 65 innings. Australia’s Nathan Lyon holds the record for taking the most wickets in the Border Gavaskar Trophy with 116 wickets in 26 matches.
The Border-Gavaskar Trophy stands as a symbol of the enduring rivalry and mutual respect between Australia and India in the world of cricket, and it remains one of the most coveted trophies in international Test cricket.
Border Gavaskar Trophy History
The Border-Gavaskar Trophy is a prestigious cricket trophy contested between Australia and India. Here is a detailed border-gavaskar trophy history of the trophy:
- Inception (1996-97): The Border-Gavaskar Trophy was introduced in the 1996-97 season to commemorate the cricketing rivalry between Australia and India. It was named after two legendary cricketers, Allan Border of Australia and Sunil Gavaskar of India.
- First Edition (1996-97): The inaugural Border-Gavaskar Trophy was held in India in 1996-97. The three-match Test series ended in a 1-1 draw, with one match won by each team.
- Australia’s Dominance (1998-2004): Australia established their dominance in the early years of the Border-Gavaskar Trophy. They won the next three series (1998, 2001, and 2003-04) comprehensively, with Australia winning all the matches in the 2001 series.
- India’s Historic Series Win (2004): The 2004 Border-Gavaskar Trophy series held in India was a watershed moment. India, led by Sourav Ganguly, won the series 2-1, marking their first series victory against Australia since its inception. The series included iconic performances by players like Rahul Dravid and VVS Laxman.
- Australia’s Dominance Continues (2007-2008): Australia continued their success in the Border-Gavaskar Trophy, winning the 2007-08 series in Australia 2-1.
- India’s Home Dominance (2008-2013): India started a period of home dominance, winning three consecutive Border-Gavaskar Trophy series (2008-09, 2010-11, and 2012-13). Notably, the 2010-11 series witnessed India’s 4-0 whitewash of Australia.
- Australia’s Home Victories (2014-2017): Australia regained their dominance at home, winning the Border-Gavaskar Trophy in both 2014-15 and 2016-17.
- India’s Historic Series Win in Australia (2018-19): In the 2018-19 series, India achieved a historic 2-1 series victory in Australia. It was India’s first-ever Test series win Down Under, and they became the first Asian team to achieve this feat.
- Epic Battle in Australia (2020-21): The 2020-21 Border-Gavaskar Trophy was highly dramatic and memorable. India, plagued by injuries and faced with challenging circumstances, displayed resilience and determination to win the series 2-1. The series witnessed heroic performances by several Indian players, notably Cheteshwar Pujara, Rishabh Pant, and Mohammed Siraj.
The Border-Gavaskar Trophy has become one of the most fiercely contested and celebrated cricket rivalries, capturing the attention of fans worldwide. It has seen memorable moments, great individual performances, and intense battles, making it a cherished part of the cricketing history between Australia and India.
Border Gavaskar Trophy winners list year wise
|Player of the series
|Ravindra Jadeja & Ravichandran Ashwin
Border Gavaskar Trophy 2022 – 2023 Highlights
|border-gavaskar trophy 2023
|Santosh Trophy Season
|9th February 2023 – 13rd March 2023
|Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI)
|Total Teams Participates
|Total Number of Matches
|Player of the series
|Ravindra Jadeja & Ravichandran Ashwin
Border Gavaskar trophy 2023 schedule & final result
The four-match series border gavaskar trophy 2022 was scheduled for October – November 2022 was moved because of T20 World Cup held in Australia in October 2022. The series was played in February 2023. India won the series with 2-1 and retained the Border-Gavaskar Trophy 2023.
The first Test of the Border Gavaskar Trophy 2023 squad between India and Australia begins on 9 February 2023 at Nagpur. Australian captain Pat Cummins won the toss and decided to bat first. Man of the match was given to Ravindra Jadeja for the great comeback of Team India leading by 132 runs to win the first test.
The second match started on 17 February 2023 in Delhi. Pat Cummins won the toss and decided to bat first. Ravindra Jadeja took a career-best 7/42 as India chased down the target of 114 with 6 wickets to spare. Ravindra Jadeja was awarded the Man of the Match award for his brilliant bowling performance and for the most wickets in border gavaskar trophy 2023.
The third test started on 28 February 2023 in Indore. Some players of the Australian team returned home for personal reasons, notably Pat Cummins (Australia’s captain). That’s why Steve Smith was captaining the team in the third test. Rohit Sharma won the toss and decided to bat first. Australia achieved the target of 76 runs for the loss of just one wicket and won the match.
The fourth test started on 9th March 2023 at Narendra Modi Stadium, Ahmedabad. As Australian captain Steve Smith (In the Absence of Pat Cummins) won the toss and elected to bat first. On the last day (Day 5) of the match, Travis Head and Marnus Labuschagne scored 90 and 63 (not out) runs respectively for Australia, as both captains decided to draw the match at the start of the78th over. Virat Kohli was the player of the match for scoring the most runs in border gavaskar trophy 2023 186 runs while Ravichandran Ashwin and Ravindra Jadeja received joint player of the series award for 86 runs & 25 wickets, 135 runs & 22 wickets respectively.
Next Border Gavaskar trophy schedule
Australia will host the next Border-Gavaskar Trophy scheduled for 2024-2025 between November 2024 and January 2025. You can find the latest updates, live scores, schedules and results of the Border-Gavaskar Trophy on our website vijayhazarethorphi.in.
FAQs – Border-Gavaskar trophy
Q. What is the Border-Gavaskar Trophy?
A: The Border-Gavaskar Trophy is a cricket trophy awarded to the winner of the Test cricket series played between Australia and India. It is named after two legendary cricketers, Allan Border of Australia and Sunil Gavaskar of India.
Q: When was the Border-Gavaskar Trophy established?
A: The Border-Gavaskar Trophy was established in 1996 when the Indian cricket team toured Australia for a Test series.
Q: Where can I find the schedule and results of the Border-Gavaskar Trophy?
A: You can find the schedule and results of the Border-Gavaskar Trophy on our website vijayhazaretrophy.in or on the official websites of cricket governing bodies like the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) and Cricket Australia. Additionally, sports news websites and cricket-specific websites provide up-to-date information on the series.
Q: How many matches are played in the Border-Gavaskar Trophy?
A: The number of matches played in the Border-Gavaskar Trophy can vary. Traditionally, a Test series consists of four matches, but in some instances, it may be a three-match or even a five-match series.
Q: Who are some prominent players associated with the Border-Gavaskar Trophy?
A: Over the years, many prominent players have been associated with the Border-Gavaskar Trophy. Some notable names include Sachin Tendulkar, Rahul Dravid, VVS Laxman, Anil Kumble, Ricky Ponting, Steve Waugh, Shane Warne, Glenn McGrath, and more. These players have made significant contributions to the series and left their mark on the history of the Border-Gavaskar Trophy.